Gather as much information as possible about the site and the people who will use the library.
About the Site and Neighborhood
Approximate address: 1340 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60607
The site is located on an empty lot at the northwest corner of West Taylor Street and South Ada Street, Chicago. For your design project and this competition, the site measures 75’ (east/west) along WestTaylor Street and 125’ (north/south) along South Ada Street. 75’ x 125’ is the size of three typical Chicago residential lots. Total lot size available = 9,375 square feet.
The site is currently a parking lot, but a new mixed used building (with library on the lower floor and a mix of low income, affordable, and market rate apartments above) has been proposed by the City of Chicago for the same site.
- Do a ‘site visit’ of your location using google street view. Document what you see with notes, sketches, and screenshots. What is and isn’t there?
- Create a land use map to get a sense of location’s housing options and other community spaces around it.
- Research the Little Italy/University Village to learn more about the people who live in the area.
- How you might create an inviting space that is unique to the local community.
- Research the Chicago Public Library to learn more about their mission and vision.
- Make a list of the features that you really like about public libraries that you think all people should have access to.
- Make a separate list of all the ways the current library options are not so well designed. You could use your school library as a case study.
- Research other library solutions around the world. What about their designs inspire you? How so?