2012 national competition project #197 | cafeteria redesign
Curious about the instructions for this cafeteria design problem? >>
The purpose of a cafeteria is for eating and socializing comfortable. If you cafeteria cannot accomplish this there is a problem and therefor needs to be redesigned. Our school's cafeteria has several issues that I hope to address and fix with this redesign.
Issues and how I hope to solve them:
• The lack of seating. At lunch time students sit on the floor because there is no room at the tables.
• Sustainable recourses. To make our school greener.
• Outdoor seating area. Currently in order to go outside you have to walk all the way across the school and you can’t even take a lunch tray outside.
• Outdoor seating and weather. We live in Nebraska and over half the school year it wouldn’t be very nice to sit outside. So I propose a covered eating space.
• Lunch line slowness. Currently it takes 20 minutes to get everyone through the lunch line, we only have a 30 minute lunch!
• An addition must mach the existing building. Our school has been around since 1967 and since then we have had four major remodels. It is very important for us to match the original building.
• Windows! Before 2009 our school had few windows. You could go a whole day and not know it was raining or snowing outside.