Statement of Copyright
United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) protects the content, text, drawings, and photographs on this website, including those produced by the Chicago Architecture Foundation and those produced by others, whether or not specifically marked with the Copyright symbol (©) or phrase.
Written permission from the original copyright owners of all the case study buildings featured in the curriculum must be obtained for any transmission or reproduction of protected items, in whole or in part.
Every effort has been made to properly credit the owners and creators of copyrighted and public domain materials. In addition, every effort has been made to properly credit the owners and creators of copyrighted and public domain materials.
The lessons, materials, and drawings contained within this website are for educational purposes only. Rights to the architectural drawings belong to the owners as noted in the credits. The Chicago Architecture Foundation or the owners are not responsible for any liability as a result of any use of these drawings. The users of the lessons are solely responsible for the educational implementation thereof.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
The Chicago Architecture Foundation and the DiscoverDesign.org team respect the intellectual property of others, as well as that of our users. If you believe that your work has been copied on this site, or from this site, in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please email us at discoverdesign [at] architecture.org or fax or mail or e-mail your complaint to our outside Intellectual Property attorney:
John R. Crossan
Crossan IP Law, LLC
70 West Madison Street #5050
Chicago, IL 60602-4214
jrc [at] crossaniplaw.com
We or counsel will promptly process and investigate notices of alleged infringement and will take appropriate actions under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") and other applicable intellectual property laws. Upon receipt of notices complying or substantially complying with the DMCA, we will seek to act expeditiously to remove or disable access to any material claimed to be infringing. Repeat infringers of third-party copyrights are subject to termination of access rights in appropriate circumstances.
In assessing whether or not another user of DiscoverDesign.org has violated your copyright, please keep in mind that this is an educational and not-for-profit initiative, seeking to aid high school students' learning by providing the tools for them to learn and express themselves using digital technology. Please also keep in mind the 'Fair Use' doctrine incorporated into the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. 107.
If you choose to make a copyright infringement complaint to us or our attorney, please note that we may post your notification, with personally identifiable information redacted, to a clearinghouse such as chillingeffects.org. Please also note that you may be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys' fees) if you materially misrepresent that an activity or posting on our site is infringing a copyright in which you have no interest or to which other defenses appear.
Statement of Rights and Responsibilities
This Statement of Rights and Responsibilities ("Statement") governs our relationship with users and others who interact with us through this site. By using or accessing this site, you agree to this Statement.
- Sharing Your Content and Information
You own all of the content and information you post on this site. By uploading content to this site you are sharing your Intellectual Property with the community for review and possible comment. In order for us to use certain types of content and provide you with access to this site and its features, you agree to the following:
- For design project content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos, models, and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to copy, store, use, convert to other formats, and/or retransmit any IP content that you post on or in connection with this site ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account (except to the extent your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it).
- When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
- We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about this site and CAF, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).
We do our best to keep this site and your use of it safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help in order to do that, which includes the following commitments:
- You will not send or otherwise post unauthorized commercial communications to users (such as spam).
- You will not collect users' information, or otherwise access this site, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers).
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any user.
- You will not post content that is hateful, threatening, pornographic, or that contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You will not use DiscoverDesign to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
- You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of this Statement.
- Registration and Account Security
Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
- You will not provide any false personal information on this site, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
- You will not use this site if you are under 13.
- You will not use this site if you are a convicted sex offender.
- You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
- You will not share your password, let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
- You will not transfer your account to anyone.
- Protecting Other People's Rights
We respect other people's rights, and expect you to do the same.
- You will not post content or take any action on this site that infringes another person's or entity's rights or otherwise violates the law.
- We can remove any content you post on this site if we believe that it violates this Statement.
- We will provide you with tools to help you protect your intellectual property rights. To learn more, see the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
- If we removed your content for infringing someone else's copyright, and you believe we removed it by mistake, we will provide you with an opportunity to have us reconsider the facts of your case.
- If you infringe other people's intellectual property rights, we will disable your account when appropriate.
- You will not use our copyrights or trademarks (including Chicago Architecture Foundation, CAF, ArchiCenter, and others) without our written permission.
- You will not collect information from users.
- We can change this Statement at any time without notice to you, but we will try to provide you notice through DiscoverDesign.org.
- We can make changes for legal or administrative reasons without notice and without affording you an opportunity to comment.
If you violate the letter or spirit of this Statement, or otherwise create possible legal exposure for us, we can stop providing all or part of DiscoverDesign.org to you. We will generally try to notify you, but we have no obligation to do so. You may also delete your account at any time. In all such cases, this Statement shall terminate, but the following provisions will still apply: 2.2, 2.3, 3-5, 8.2, 9.1-9.3, and 10.3.
- You will resolve any claim, cause of action or dispute ("claim") you have with us arising out of or relating to this Statement or CAF or this Handbook in a state or federal court located in downtown Chicago, [Cook County] IL. The laws of the State of Illinois will govern this Statement, as well as any claim that might arise between you and us, without regard to conflict of law provisions. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located in Cook County, IL, for the purpose of litigating all such claims.
- If anyone brings a claim against us related to your actions or your content on this site, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to such claim.
- WE TRY TO KEEP THIS SITE UP, BUG-FREE, AND SAFE, BUT YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE PROVIDING THIS SITE "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT THIS SITE WILL BE SAFE OR SECURE. CAF IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OR CONTENT OF THIRD PARTIES, AND YOU RELEASE US, OUR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, AND AGENTS FROM ANY CLAIMS AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST ANY SUCH THIRD PARTIES. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS STATEMENT OR SITE, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF THIS STATEMENT OR THIS SITE WILL NOT EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10.00). APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH CASES, CAF'S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
- By "this site" we mean the features and services we make available, including through (a) our website at www.discoverdesign.org and any other CAF branded or co-branded websites such as www.architecture.org (including sub-domains); (b) our tours and bookstore and lectures; and (c) other media, devices or networks now existing or later developed.
- By "us", "we", and "our" we mean the Chicago Architecture Foundation (CAF) and/or its affiliates.
- By "Platform" we mean a set of APIs and services that enable applications, developers, operators or services to retrieve data from this site and provide data to us relating to users and designs.
- By "content" we mean the content and information you post on this site, including information about you and the actions you take.
- By "post" we mean post on this site or otherwise make available to us.
- By "use" we mean use, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of.
- This Statement makes up the entire agreement between the parties regarding CAF and this site, and supersedes any prior agreements.
- If any portion of this Statement is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect.
- If we fail to enforce against any breach of this Statement, such failure will not be considered a waiver for any like or repeated breach.
- Any amendment to or waiver of this Statement must be made in writing and signed by us.
- You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under this Statement to anyone else.
- All of our rights and obligations under this Statement are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, or by operation of law, or otherwise.
- Nothing in this Agreement shall prevent us from complying with the applicable law.
- This Statement does not confer any third party beneficiary rights.