Bus shelter advertisements are eye-level ads that give people something to look at while they are waiting at the bus stop, or passing by in a vehicle or on a bicycle. Chicago has more than 130 bus routes used by approximately 800,000 people each weekday. A typical bus shelter in Chicago includes a large poster that measures roughly 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide on one of the shelter walls.
Design a bus shelter advertisement for Open House Chicago, a free public festival that offers behind-the-scenes access to more than 250 buildings across Chicago, that will encourage people to visit and explore either a specific site, neighborhood or community, or the festival in general.
- Research Chicago’s history with architecture. In what ways did Chicago change the face of architecture?
- Research the Chicago Architecture Center and the Open House Chicago program. How do CAC and OHC promote architecture throughout the city?
- Gather inspirational examples of other poster designs that you like.
Explore these resources:
- Open House Chicago, 2018 sites
- GNU Image Manipulation Program – Free photo editing software
- Inkscape – Free illustration and layout software
- DaFont – free font database
- “Beginning Graphic Design”: 5 YouTube Videos covering the fundamentals of graphic design
- More resources, including chapters of The Architecture Handbook
- Think about colors, patterns, themes that help give Chicago an identity.
- How do the text, images, and the OHC logo work together? Learn about composition and typography.
- Don’t fall in love with your first idea. When you have a layout and design you like, save it, close it, and make another.
Get Feedback and Improve
- Ask your teacher, friends, family, neighbors, what they think of your design.
- Get professional feedback at CAC’s Teen Open Studios.
Register for this division | by 4pm by Thursday, April 18, 2019
3 renderings uploaded digitally | on Slideroom by 4pm on Thursday, May 9, 2019 in order to qualify for jurying:
- Caption each of your photos to explain what is being shown
Essay (150-200 words) uploaded digitally | on Slideroom by 4pm on Thursday, May 9, 2019 in order to qualify for jurying
- How does your design celebrate Chicago’s architectural identity, history and/or culture?
Artwork center mounted on a single vertical board | turned into your teacher or drop off location by 4pm on Monday, May 13, 2019 in order to qualify for jurying
- Include: the Chicago Architecture Center and Open House Chicago logos; and graphic illustrations and/or photography of architectural themes
- Orientation must be portrait (vertical)
- Board Dimensions are 11” x 17” with no more than a 1” border
- Artwork size no larger than 11" x 17"
- Do NOT submit work with found photography or graphics. All imagery involved in your design must be original work.
- Fill out and apply competition entry labels with your unique participant ID number (Slideroom ID). Do NOT include your name or school anywhere visible on the model
- Convey technical quality, composition, and originality in your design.
- Show creative and appropriate representations of context – texture, color, and style.
- Colors and theme harmonize in your final design.
- Your design must show an effective use of the digital programs.
Submit the project on Slideroom
Projects must be sumbitted by Thursday, May 9, 2019